Thursday, August 4, 2011

Grilled Beef Kabobs

It's been FOREVER since I've made a posting! Sorry about that... my camera decided to call it quits and then my computer decided to do the same... anyhow, everything is up and running and we're back in business! So here's a yummy recipe I made recently!

Summertime, for me, is all about grilling.  It's such an easy way to make a meal... and, unless you burn the food, it's pretty hard to mess up.  Have you noticed that? You can pretty much marinate anything in anything else and come up with a yummy meal.  I had a lot of beef tips that were perfect for kabobs, so that's what I decided to make.  I did some research on Bobby Flay's website (because he's the king of the grill) and found this recipe!

Garlic Mustard Grilled Beef Skewers


2 lbs beef tips (or cut up roast)
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup grainy mustard
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
any veggies you like grilled


This was super easy peasy!  In a small bowl, mix the mustards, paprika, salt, pepper, soy sauce, garlic, white wine vinegar, and honey.  The honey is optional, but I'm not a huge fan of mustard, and I think the honey cuts up the spicy taste of the mustard.  I bought 2 different types of mustard: 1 is a grainy mustard with the big mustard seeds and the other is a dijon mustard.  I'm still slowly trying to make myself like mustard, but it's a slow process! I've gotten myself to like onions, pepper, and red wine, so I figure I'll try to add mustard to the mix.

Anyway, when all of the ingredients were combined, I threw the beef in the bowl and tossed it all together to make sure that each piece was nicely coated in the marinade.  I then covered it and let it marinate for 30 minutes.


While waiting for the meat to marinate, I set out to cut the veggies.  This is really easy... it just depends on what you like to eat!  I love grilled onions, peppers, mushrooms, potatoes... almost anything!  I did just visit a farmer's market the day before, so I already had a red, yellow, and green pepper, a red onion, and some zucchini, so I washed them up and cut them into big sized chunks.


When the meat had fininshed marinating, I threw everything on skewers.  Typically, you are supposed to soak the skewers in water so that they don't burn when they go on the grill.  I didn't have time to, though, so I just skipped that step.  I threw the ingredients onto a skewer and set them on a foil lined pan.  I had the grill heated up to a pretty high temperature. 


Before throwing the kabobs onto the grill, I took the extra marinade and brushed it over the whole kabob, including the veggies.  This is how the veggies were seasoned since I didn't season them with anything else. Might as well make use of all the yummy flavors we created, right?!


 So here the kabobs are on the grill.  It didn't take very long at all.  Curt likes his meat charred on the outside but medium rare on the inside.  Hence, why I put the grill on high.  When the heat is high, the outside can get a nice char, just keep turning it so there is char on all sides.  Then, you can either turn the heat down, or you can move the kabobs to a part of the grill that isn't so hot.  Overall, they only took about 10 minutes to grill.


Here they are!  Super easy and pretty tasty too.  You could definitely taste the mustard.  I think that next time, I might add a bit more garlic, just because I LOVE garlic.  The flavor was really good and it was just an easy dish to make.  It was perfect for a hot summer day.  There wasn't much prep work or clean up either!  This is definitely a must try!  You could probably use it on chicken or just brush it on a regular steak too.

I have a few more kabob recipes up my sleeve too! Keep your eyes open for them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment